Mexican heritage and culture are celebrated on the fifth of May every year, and many people across the United States have home parties for celebrating Cinco de Mayo. If you are planning on having a home party and you have a toddler or a baby -you’ll need to be aware of these safety tips in order to make sure that you and your little ones have a good time.
Make Sure Your Party is Invite Only
That means since you have young kids in the house, you don’t want everyone in your area to know that you are having a party. The last thing you want is random people showing up without knowing who they are, as that is a safety concern for your kids. Sure, your friends can bring a guest such as a girlfriend/ a boyfriend or a best friend if they ask you ahead of time. But as long as you know who is coming to the party, you won’t worry about odd strangers coming into your home. That still means, however, that you can relax completely either as there are safety tips to take in order to make sure that you and your family are further protected.
- Give your guests strict rules to follow. Remember, it is your party and your home. For instance, reasonable behavior is the only thing that will be tolerated. If your guests begin to become rowdy, then they need to leave. Make that clear to them.
- Lock away valuables. Just because you know your guests does not mean that you can trust them either with any valuables around that can be stolen or damaged.
- Have a cab number ready. Just in case a guest is drinking too much and they drove to your home, be sure to have a number of a cab ready to call to make sure they get back home safely and arrange to have someone drive their car back the next day.
- Have a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher available. Just in case some kind of accident happens, you want to be prepared for it.
These are just tips on how to make sure your home is safe, as well as your guests are too. But you want to also make sure that your kids will not be in any danger either.
Safety Tips for Kids
If you have young kids, babies, or toddlers, you will want to make sure they are kept safe during the Cinco de Mayo celebration at your home.
- Keep your little ones in a designated area. You don’t want your kids to be roaming around where the actual party is taking place. Therefore, you will need to have a trusted family member like one of your parents- the child’s grandparent staying with your kids in a designated room. They can go into the kitchen with whoever is watching them if they want to have something to eat or drink and that is it. If they are kept away from the party, then that is the safest option. Make sure they are kept occupied by watching television shows or have activities to do such as playing on the iPad or doing crafts.
- Keep your kids away from alcohol at all costs. Even though your kids will be designated to an area of your home away from the party, there will be times when they will go into the kitchen, even if they are taken there by whoever is watching them- make sure any booze is not within their reach.
Safety Tips for Both Kids & Guests
We have already covered how to keep your guests safe by making sure they have a cab ready just in case they need it, as well as keeping first-aid kits and fire extinguishers handy. However, let’s go over the safety tips for both kids and adults guests.
- Keep all rooms well-lit. The last thing you want to see happen is anyone tripping or falling.
- Get rid of food that has been sitting around for hours. If the food doesn’t appear fresh anymore and it has been sitting out for a while, be sure to get rid of it. You don’t want your guests telling you that they were sick the day after, nor do you want your kids to be sick!
- Keep the area clean. Make sure guests clean up after themselves and use paper products so they can toss it into the garbage right after they are done. Keep garbage bags out for them so they can easily do that. The less clutter around makes the environment safer and keeps your workload less.
Now if you are having a Cinco de Mayo party at your home, you now know what safety tips to utilize to keep your kids and guests safe and happy! Enjoy your celebration!