The temperatures are finally warming up and that is an indication that spring is in full swing now, which means summer is not all that far off! This is a time when families can look forward to spending a lot of their time outdoors. However, they need to take into consideration that they need to be careful when it comes to being out in the sun too much and being exposed to its harmful UV rays.
It is a known fact how dangerous being out in the sun can be if you are not properly protected. It is even more dangerous for babies and toddlers to be out in the sun without proper protection. Because when it comes to baby or toddler sun exposure, the consequences can be extremely serious if they are not protected from the sun’s dangerous UV rays which could result in the development of skin cancer, sunburn or premature aging. You don’t want to take that chance. You definitely want to make sure that you and your family are properly protected by sunscreen. Let’s talk about other steps you can take to protect you and your family from the sun.
Make Sure You Use The Right Type of Sunscreen
It is a known fact that babies under 6 months of age cannot wear sunscreen, so you will need to keep them in shade as much as possible if you are spending time outdoors. However, when it comes to reducing toddler sun exposure, the best type of sunscreen can help right there. The ideal type of sunscreen to use for your kids and for yourself is SPF30 (or higher) broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen! That also means to reapply the sunscreen after being in the pool every few hours, even if it is water-resistant. However, not all types of screen are the same. Here are some tips on finding the best type for your toddler or baby.
- Make sure the sunscreen that you choose will be comfortable for your child to wear. Otherwise, if your child dislikes it, he or she will not want to have it put on! You will want to make sure it is easy to apply as well.
- When you want to get the best type of sunscreen for your little one, be sure to put some on a small patch of your child’s skin first to make sure it is a good fit. If so, then it is likely good to go.
- Plenty of brands of sunscreen are made of baby or toddler formulas. That means these are ideal for sensitive skin and those are the ones to look for.
You will also want to make sure that you minimize toddler sun exposure by implementing the following tips other than using sunscreen alone.
Tips to Stay Safe From the Sun’s UV Rays
- Don’t spend too much time outdoors after 11 am and before 3 pm. That means it is best to go outdoors during the off-times when the UV rays are weaker and are usually at a level of under 3 which is safer.
- Wear cotton and breathable clothing. It is important to cover up arms and legs with cool clothing as well to stay extra protected.
- Make sure wide-brimmed hats are worn. These hats will protect not just the head but the neck and the entire face from the sun.
- Always wear sunglasses. Your toddler may not like it but he or she will become used to wearing sunglasses but it is important so that the eyes are protected.
- Seek out shade when possible. It is best to spend as much time in the shade as you can so you are even further protected.
- Drink plenty of water. If you are spending prolonged times outdoors, it is crucial that your family stays hydrated and bring lots of bottled water along.
Now you know what to do in order to reduce toddler sun exposure, and to keep your other kids and yourself protected from the sun’s strong UV rays! Enjoy the summer, have fun and stay safe! For more blogs and safety content, like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/peacefulparentsusa, connect with us on Instagram @peacefulparentsusa and follow us on Twitter @parents_usa for more parenting and child safety tips.