It is critical for kids to spend one on one time with their parents, but it is especially important for toddlers because that is the time when they are laying the foundation for a self-image that will last for the rest of their lives. And when parents praise them, which is extremely helpful in order to for them to have self-confidence as they mature.
There is absolutely nothing like alone time with mom and dad to help the child feel loved and secured. As a parent, you already know this, but your concern is time. You are unsure of how to manage time with your toddler.
The good news is that there are many ways on how to properly manage your time with your toddler, and all you have to do is become creative and set a schedule. Listed below are some ideas to utilize so you can spend that quality time with your little one!
Carve Out Time for Playing on the Floor
Yes, parents are not crazy about the idea of getting on the floor and playing with their toddler. But guess what, they absolutely need you to play to play with them, and this is a great way for you to bond with your child. Here are some ideas to make playing on the floor enjoyable for both of you.
- Playing cars. This is more appropriate if your child is a little boy, but toddlers enjoy making bridges and roads to drive their cars on. Help them find creative ways to play with their cars,
- Work on puzzles together. You and your toddler can work on a puzzle on the floor together, and this is excellent for the development of their problem-solving skills, and eye-hand coordination while they are getting encouragement from you.
- Play with dolls or stuffed animals. Both little boys and girls enjoy playing with stuffed animals, but most of the time little girls enjoy playing with dolls. Your toddler will want to play with their stuffed animals or dolls and have you in the picture. Maybe you both can create a private play, or a have a tea party with the plushies. This will help their imagination flourish, and create a great bonding experience for both of you.
Sing with Your Toddler on the Way to Preschool
While you are taking your child to preschool, why not ask your toddler to pick the song that he or she wants to hear on the way down, and then when the choice is made- both of you sing the song together. Allowing your toddler to make choices helps them become independent and confident, and while you both are singing together will be fun for both of you.
Read Your Child a Story
Another way to manage your time with your toddler is to carve time to read a story to him or her. Ask your toddler to choose what book he or she wants you to read, then both of you hop onto the couch, and start reading the story. Your child will absolutely love it. And if your toddler is advanced enough to read simple words, why not take turns reading?
Do Simple Chores with Your Toddler
There is nothing better than having a helper when it comes to doing chores. Your toddler is old enough to help you out with some simple stuff. This will help create bonding time between you and your child and will teach your child responsibility. Here are examples of how you can get your toddler to help you cut down the time on doing the stuff around the house!
- Cooking. If you want to have a simple salad or dessert made, your toddler can most definitely help you out with that creation!
- Simple Cleaning. If you want your bottom kitchen cabinets wiped down, wet down a towel, and give it to your toddler. Your child will wipe those cabinets down while you are brooming or vacuuming the kitchen.
- Ask your toddler to help you put items away. Firstly, you will want to get your toddler to clean up after playtime because that is an excellent habit for them to adopt. Secondly, while you are organizing or cleaning up in general, have your little helper help you out with that as well.
It is known that parents of babies and toddlers are extremely busy, and the idea of managing time with your toddler can sound overwhelming. However, while utilizing these tips mentioned above, it does not have to be! Enjoy your time with your little one, and go and spend some quality time together.