You are a parent to a toddler or a toddler as well as an older child, and you are ready to go on vacation with the family! Whether you are getting ready to go away for a holiday, or you are having to travel to see family members – you are full of dread and excitement at the same time. That is because traveling with toddlers can be quite challenging, and you are worried that the trip could turn into a disaster.
The first thing to do is to acknowledge the reality that challenges could present themselves along the way when traveling with your toddler. Once you’ve accepted this, do not stress yourself out too much because you will need to have a clear mind to plan ahead. Below are a few tips on how to make traveling with toddlers a little easier:
Make an Appointment with your Toddler’s Pediatrician
The first thing to do before you even pack your suitcase is to make an appointment with your child’s pediatrician for a quick check up. In fact, be sure to have your child seen at least a week before you go away. Sure, sickness unfortunately can come suddenly while you are on the trip.
However, if your child is examined carefully, and appears to be in good health- then odds are he or she will stay that way. There are further steps to take to ensure that your child stays healthy.
- Stay away from sick people! You will want to make sure that you don’t end up in a situation where you and/or your child is exposed to someone sick before you leave, which the pediatrician will likely tell you anyway during the appointment.
- Avoid vaccinations for now! If your child is due for a vaccination, do not have him or her vaccinated until you return from vacation because unwanted side effects could crop up as well.
Book a Night Flight if you are Flying
If you decide to travel during the day, you will risk the possibility that your toddler will be wide awake and cranky during the whole flight. The change in routine could potentially disrupt his or her nap time.
Flying at night is the best idea because your toddler will be tired and will end up sleeping on the plane which is what you want. You will want to bring a scarf as well to use to block any kind of light from your toddler’s eyes so he or she will not wake up.
Make Sure the Bag is Packed Properly!
This tip is one of the most important ones around because you will want to make sure that you have the following in the carry on bag or travel bags when you are traveling with a toddler:
- Extra clothes – Because, accidents happen whether they spill a drink, or have a bathroom accident in their underwear, or throw up! The last thing you want to run into is being stressed due to not having enough extra clothes for your toddler.
- Plenty of snacks – Whether you are traveling by car or by plane, you must have snacks packed up such as fruits, small vegetables, crackers, goldfish, pretzels, but nothing too sugary for obvious reasons! You must have these snacks to keep your toddler happy! Don’t forget to pack the small water bottles if you are traveling by car, and even by plane though you will be offered drinks during the flight.
- Medicine – Your child could get a scrape or a fever. Be sure to pack up the Band-Aids, Children’s Tylenol, Benadryl, Neosporin, and so on. Do you remember that doctor’s appointment that you made before leaving? Ask the pediatrician what he or she recommends you take as well.
- Plenty of Wipes and Hand Sanitizers – Your toddler will sneeze and expel mucus, or expel other unpleasant substances. Be sure to bring plenty of wipes so clean up whatever mess that will inevitably happen on the plane, or car. The hand sanitizer is a must have as well because your toddler will touch things that you will not want to think about!
There you have it. You are worried about how stressful traveling with toddlers will be because you know that disaster could strike at anytime on the trip. However, with these tips to follow- your experience should not be so bad! Have a great trip!